Car accidents happen far too frequently, and they are exceptionally dangerous accidents. As traffic continues to increase, so too does the number of serious car accidents on our highways and byways. If someone else’s negligence leaves you injured in a car accident, there are some steps that you should take to help protect both your health and your car accident claim, and one of the most important steps is consulting with an experienced car accident attorney.
The Steps You Should Take
While your car accident will be specific to the details involved, the first steps forward are the same for every car accident victim and include (as applicable):
- Drive your vehicle as far out of the path of oncoming traffic as you can
- Call 911
- If someone at the scene is injured, render whatever aid you are capable of providing
- Accept medical attention at the scene if it is offered, and if it isn’t, seek it out as soon after the car accident as possible
- Don’t talk about the car accident at the scene (your words can come back to haunt you once the insurance company gets ahold of them)
- Answer any questions posed to you by an attending officer as honestly but succinctly as you can
- Consult with a dedicated car accident attorney as soon after the car accident as you are able to do so
- Follow your doctor’s guidance carefully and follow up with all medical care that he or she recommend
- Take a break from social media (the insurance company is watching and waiting – hoping you’ll post something that it can twist to its own purposes)
By sticking to these basics, you can help your car accident attorney help you.
An Experienced Car Accident Attorney Is on Your Side
If another driver’s negligence causes you to be injured, the accomplished car accident attorneys at JLF Firm are committed to harnessing the full power of their experience in pursuit of your case’s optimal outcome. Your claim is important, so please don’t put off giving us a call or contacting us today for more information about how we can help.
Won’t the insurance company just cover my losses?
While it is true that the insurance company is paid to cover your losses, it is in the business of making money, which motivates it to minimize settlements by every means available to it.
What damages will my car accident claim address?
Your car accident claim will address the full scope of the damages you’ve suffered, which include:
- Your medical costs
- Your lost earnings
- Your pain and suffering
What should I do if I can’t afford a car accident attorney?
You are in a financially vulnerable position (on top of everything else), and this is why most car accident attorneys work on a contingency basis. This means their pay is contingent on your compensation. If your case settles or receives a court award, a prearranged percentage will go to your attorney, but if neither of these happens, you won’t owe anything.