Trial Approaching for Palisades Fire Arson Suspect
As the June federal case against Jonathan Rinderknecht, the man accused of sparking the deadly Palisades Fire, draws near, it is shaping up to be one of the most consequential arson trials in California history.
Who Is Jonathan Rinderknecht?
Rinderknecht, a 29-year-old former Pacific Palisades resident, was arrested in Florida on October 1, 2025, at his sister’s residence. Following a judicial order denying bail due to mental health concerns and public risk, he has remained in federal custody.
Rinderknecht faces three federal arson charges outlined in the federal criminal complaint, including:
- Destruction of property by means of fire
- Arson affecting property used in interstate commerce
- Timber set afire, causing one of the most destructive fires in Los Angeles City history
If convicted on all counts in a Los Angeles courtroom, Rinderknecht could face up to 45 years in federal prison, with a mandatory minimum of five years. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
The Latest Updates and What’s Being Reported
What Prosecutors Believe Happened Earlier That Night Before the Palisade’s Fire
An April 29 pretrial memo from the U.S. Attorney’s Office indicates that Rinderknecht allegedly grew increasingly agitated while working as an Uber driver in Pacific Palisades on New Year’s Eve before the fire began.
Passengers told law enforcement Rinderknecht ranted about his fury with the world and falling out with a former friend. According to court documents, he mentioned Luigi Mangione, the accused UnitedHealthcare CEO shooter, and referenced Mangione’s alleged crime, invoking themes of capitalism and vigilantism.
Additionally, Rinderknecht told investigators that someone might commit arson in the Palisades out of resentment toward wealthy residents, describing the rich as essentially enslaving ordinary people.
Why Rinderknecht Is the Key Suspect for Starting the Deadly Palisades Fire in Los Angeles, CA
Prosecutors claim Rinderknecht parked near a familiar Palisades hiking trail and hiked up the same trail in the early morning hours. The federal prosecutor’s complaint alleges he used a lighter to start the Lachman Fire early on January 1st, 2025. On January 24th, investigators found a barbecue-style lighter in Rinderknecht’s car that appeared to match one seen in a December 31st photo of his apartment.
After the Lachman Fire started, Rinderknecht called 911 to report it. However, he did not get service. Cellphone records show that he was the only person in the area where the fire started, and he fled when he saw fire engines approach.
Also, the Palisades fire suspect’s ChatGPT log shows he created an image depicting a burning forest with crowds fleeing. The music video included objects being lit on fire; this is also something Rinderknecht listened to and watched the music video repeatedly in the days before the Lachman fire. Rinderknecht recorded videos from the hilltop that night.
How Rinderknecht’s Alleged Actions Leading Up to the Blaze Affect His Defense
Rinderknecht’s alleged actions leading up to the blaze form a key pillar of the prosecution’s case. His efforts indicated that he wanted to preserve evidence of his attempts to assist in suppressing the fire, as well as to create evidence supporting an alternative explanation for the fire’s cause.
The underground fire Rinderknecht started, prosecutors say, did not simply go out. Lachman’s fire burned into the dense vegetation and began to burn underground, working through the root structure beneath the surface.
About a week later, on January 7th, fierce Santa Ana winds reignited those embers, and the fire continued to grow with terrifying speed. What followed became one of the most devastating fires in California history, which scorched more than 23,000 acres across the Pacific Palisades neighborhood and Malibu, killing 12 people.
The Defense Strategy: Blame the Firefighters
A Claim of Government Negligence
Rinderknecht’s attorney, Steve Haney, is arguing that, even if the fires in Lachman were ignited by Rinderknecht’s alleged actions, the catastrophic Palisades Fire that followed was not his fault.
The defense has submitted court filings seeking to introduce a theory of governmental negligence, arguing that the Los Angeles Fire Department and California State Parks deliberately abandoned a still-active holdover fire.
According to those filings, firefighters suppressed the visible flames but were then ordered to leave the Lachman burn scar on January 2, despite the area visibly smoking and audibly crackling.
This is a decision made ahead of a forecasted red-flag wind event and in direct violation of standard wildfire protocol. Rinderknecht’s attorney argues this constitutes gross negligence.
Conflicting Firefighter Testimony
Central to the defense argument is contradictory testimony from Los Angeles Fire Department personnel gathered through civil lawsuits filed against the City of Los Angeles and California State Parks.
One firefighter testified in a deposition that he noticed the ground was still smoldering on January 2nd and alerted a supervisor to active hot spots. However, a battalion chief testified that he walked through the burn area four times and confirmed that all hot spots had been extinguished.
These depositions were not part of the criminal case when Rinderknecht was indicted. Haney held a press conference earlier in March 2026, calling for the indictment to be dismissed, arguing the new evidence should have changed the U.S. Attorney’s Office’s calculus entirely.
LAFD Fire Chief Jaime Moore has acknowledged the conflicting accounts and commissioned an independent report on how the January 1st fire was handled.
A Fireworks Theory and a More Innocent Explanation
Adding another layer to the defense case, in March 2026, a witness came forward saying they saw a flash and heard a loud bang just before the fire started, suggesting fireworks offered another explanation for how the blaze began.
While fireworks are sometimes the source of some serious accidents, creating the need for firework bans in various Southern California cities, investigators excluded such. possibilities, such as fireworks, lightning, and power lines.
Instead, they found that the fire was intentionally lit, likely by a lighter used on vegetation or paper, according to the criminal complaint.
What’s Next: Rinderknecht Set for Court Appearance in Front of Federal Grand Jury in June
Rinderknecht’s trial is currently set to begin June 8, 2026, before U.S. District Judge Anne Hwang in a Los Angeles courtroom.
Haney has maintained throughout that his client is a former resident with no prior criminal record, should never have been indicted, and has called on the U.S. Attorney’s Office to review the case. The office has declined to comment beyond stating they will see Rinderknecht in court.
Consult with a Fire Damage Attorney Today
If you have been affected by the Palisades, Eaton, or other wildfires that spread throughout California, know that you may be entitled to daños compensatorios.
Attorney Jeff is an award-winning personal injury law firm in Southern California, and our wildfire and fire damage attorneys can help you recover the maximum compensation you are entitled to.
Schedule a free consultation today to learn more. Jeff te tiene.