Dogs can be wonderful companions. Unfortunately, some dogs can also be unpredictable, and the consequences can be severe when they attack. Over 4.5 million dog bites are reported annually across the United States and the bites can result in serious injuries that require urgent medical attention.
California reported 15% of dog bite incidents, with most attacks carried out against family and friends.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of a dog bite in Fontana, it’s crucial to seek legal assistance from a Fontana personal injury attorney who is experienced in these kind of cases. Experienced dog bite lawyers are well-versed in the laws and regulations that apply to dog bites in California. With the help of Attorney Jeff Injury Lawyers, you can navigate the legal process and seek justice and fair compensation for your dog bite injuries.
Why Do Dogs Bite?
Dogs are known for their loyalty and affection toward their owners but can bite for various reasons. Some common reasons why dogs bite include:
- Fear or anxiety: When a dog is scared or anxious, it may feel threatened and may bite as a means of self-defense.
- Protecting their territory: As territorial animals, dogs may view strangers or unfamiliar people as a threat to their home or owner. In such cases, they may bite to protect their territory.
- Pain or illness: Dogs in pain or suffering from an illness may use biting to communicate their discomfort.
- Provocation: If a dog is provoked, for instance, if someone pulls their tail, ears, or fur, it may bite in response.
- Lack of socialization: If dogs are not adequately socialized, they may not know how to interact appropriately with humans and may react aggressively or fearfully.
- Lack of training: Dogs without proper training may not know how to respond to their owners’ commands or may be unable to control their impulses, leading to biting incidents.
Regardless of the breed, any dog has the potential to bite if it feels threatened or provoked.
Understanding why dogs may bite is crucial, as it can help prevent attacks in the future. Proper training, socialization, and responsible pet ownership can go a long way in preventing dog bites and promoting safe interactions between dogs and humans.
What are the Most Common Injuries From Dog Bites?
Canine attacks can result in a wide range of injuries, some of which can be severe and life-altering. Here are some common injuries that may result from the attack:
- Puncture wounds: These deep wounds caused by the dog’s teeth can result in significant bleeding and tissue damage.
- Lacerations: These are cuts or tears in the skin and underlying tissue, which can cause significant bleeding and may require stitches.
- Infections: Dog attacks can introduce bacteria into the body, leading to infections such as cellulitis, sepsis, and tetanus.
- Fractured bones: The powerful jaws of a dog can fracture bones, especially in the hands, arms, and legs.
- Nerve damage: Dog attacks can cause damage to nerves, resulting in numbness, tingling, or even paralysis in the affected area.
- Scarring: Attacks from dogs can result in permanent scarring, which can be disfiguring and emotionally distressing.
Victims of dog bites may require medical treatment, including surgery, antibiotics, and physical therapy, which can lead to significant expenses and lost wages.
Seeking legal assistance from experienced Fontana dog bite lawyers can help victims obtain compensation for their injuries and related expenses.
What to Do After Being Bitten by a Dog
Once a dog bites someone, the first step is to seek immediate medical attention to ensure appropriate care for their injuries. Even if the bite seems minor, it can introduce harmful bacteria into the body, leading to infections or other serious medical conditions.
Afterward, victims should get the name and contact information of the dog owner and any witnesses to the incident.
After seeking medical attention and obtaining relevant information, you should report the incident to the appropriate authorities, such as the Fontana Animal Services Team or law enforcement. This is important so the animal control department can observe the dog for signs of rabies or other diseases.
In addition, document your injuries by taking photographs and keeping track of any medical treatment you receive, including doctor’s visits, medications, and therapy. Finally, you should contact an experienced Fontana dog bite attorney to help you obtain compensation for your injuries and related expenses.
Compensation for Dog Bite Victims in Fontana
Victims of dog bites in Fontana may be entitled to compensation for their injuries and incurred expenses, including medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
In California, the law imposes strict liability on dog owners for injuries caused by their pets. This law means a dog owner can be held responsible for injuries caused by their dog, even if they had no reason to believe the dog was dangerous.
To obtain compensation for a dog bite injury, work with an experienced Fontana dog bite attorney. They can help you navigate the legal process, negotiate with insurance companies, and ensure you receive the maximum compensation under the law.
Is a Dog Bite Lawyer Necessary?
If you have sustained serious injuries or significant financial losses due to a dog bite, hiring a dog bite lawyer is highly recommended. A dog bite lawyer has extensive knowledge of the legal system and can help you navigate the complexities of the legal process.
They can thoroughly investigate the incident, gather evidence, and interview witnesses to build a strong case. Additionally, they can negotiate with the insurance company and the dog owner’s legal team to obtain a fair settlement that compensates you for your losses.
If necessary, the dog bite lawyer can represent you in court and fight for your rights before a judge and jury. Hiring a lawyer can provide peace of mind, knowing that a skilled professional is working on your behalf to obtain the best possible outcome.
Dog Bite in Fontana? Contact Our Firm Today
Attorney Jeff Injury Lawyers has a dog bite attorney dedicated to actively fighting for your rights. We provide legal support to people in Fontana and the surrounding areas of the Inland Empire.
In addition to helping you recover compensation for your injuries, we can help you hold the dog owner accountable for their negligence or wrongdoing.
If someone fails to raise an obedient, gentle dog, they can be held liable for any injuries or damages resulting from a dog attack. Contact us to explore your legal options after suffering a dog bite in Fontana.
FAQs About Dog Bite Cases
What if the dog that bit me was a stray?
If the dog that bit you was a stray, you might still be able to recover damages. File a claim with your homeowners’ insurance or seek compensation from the local government if they are aware of the stray dog problem.
Do I need a tetanus shot after a dog bite?
If you have not had a tetanus shot in the last five years, you should receive a booster shot after a dog bite. Dog bites can introduce tetanus bacteria into the body.