The immense size of the semis that we share our roads with ensures that accidents involving them are catastrophic. Trucking companies and truck drivers bear a large responsibility to others on the road, and they are often found liable for the losses sustained in truck accidents.
If someone else’s negligence leaves you injured in a truck accident, reach out for the professional legal guidance of an experienced injury attorney in Fontana today. Attorney Jeff Injury Lawyers serves truck accident victims in Fontana with award-winning representation, and we invite you to start your case today.
Types of Truck Accidents We Handle
There are many different types of truck accidents. While we handle them all, most fall into one of several basic types.
When a massive semi rolls over on the road, it puts everyone in the vicinity at risk of being gravely injured. Because semis are tall relative to their width, they are more susceptible to rolling in all the following situations:
- Taking curves or exits too quickly
- Failing to maintain smooth control over their rigs
- Urgently overcorrecting
- Failing to adjust their speed in response to bad weather
Poorly loaded trailers can also contribute to rollovers.
Tractors and their trailers are connected by large hitches that allow both parts to move separately but in tandem. When truckers take curves, turns, or exits too quickly, when they fail to adjust their speed in relation to the effects of bad weather, or when they fail to proceed with the necessary caution, life-threatening jackknife accidents can happen. The truck’s two parts fold in on one another and strike other vehicles in the process.
Tractor-trailers are so large and heavy that they require far more stopping distance than other vehicles. When truck drivers don’t allow enough space between themselves and forward vehicles, it can lead to dangerous rear-end accidents.
Accidents related to right turns
When an 18-wheeler takes a right turn, they require a considerable amount of space on the road. When truckers fail to account for these wide turns safely, it can lead to accidents involving nearby vehicles.
Intersections are like an accident magnet. When truck drivers fail to account for factors like the following, they can be responsible for a wreck:
- Overestimating the maneuverability of their rig.
- Not allowing enough stopping distance.
- Taking longer to be clear of an intersection.
Reasons Why Trucks Crash
Trucks crash in Fontana for a multitude of reasons, but some of the most common involve truck driver negligence and trucking company negligence.
Truck driver negligence
Because they are commercial drivers, truckers are held to more exacting safety rules and regulations, and when they fail to abide by them, the results can prove deadly. Common forms of truck driver negligence include:
- Failure to follow the traffic laws
- Truck driver distraction
- Truck driver impairment
- Truck driver exhaustion
- Truck driver aggression
- Excessive speed
Negligence on the part of the trucking company
While truck driver negligence is often the primary cause of truck accidents, this isn’t always the case. Trucking companies can share fault in the matter, and in certain instances, they can be the primary cause. Trucking companies bear all the following fundamental responsibilities:
- Hiring drivers who have the necessary experience, licensure, and driving skill
- Maintaining their fleets in safe, working condition
- Ensuring that regular maintenance schedules are upheld
- Hiring skilled, experienced mechanics
- Ensuring that their drivers don’t exceed the hours-of-service restrictions
Regardless of whether the truck driver or the trucking company is responsible for the truck accident that leaves you injured, a dedicated Fontana truck accident attorney can help establish liability.
Common Truck Accident Injuries
The immense impact of truck accidents goes hand-in-hand with often life-changing injuries. Consider the following common examples:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), which can be as emotionally damaging as they are physically and financially
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Internal injuries
- Burns and cuts that can be permanently scarring and disfiguring
- Soft tissue injuries
Who Is Liable for a Truck Accident in Fontana?
Truck drivers are often the direct cause of truck accidents, but trucking companies can also be held liable.
When a truck accident is caused by a defective part, the manufacturer of the part can be held responsible.
Finally, truck accidents are sometimes caused by inadequately maintained or dangerously designed roads, which can lead to liability on the part of the responsible municipality.
Truck accident claims are generally filed with the at-fault party’s insurance provider.
Securing Compensation for Truck Accident Victims
If you’re injured by someone else’s negligence in a truck accident, you can seek compensation for your legal damages – or losses – in all the following important categories:
- Property damage to your vehicle
- Medical expenses, including your full range of future costs
- Lost earnings, including losses related to future earnings
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
What Does a Truck Accident Lawyer Do?
Truck accident lawyers help guide their clients’ claims to fairly compensate them for the losses they experience. This work includes all the following primary tasks:
- Gathering all the physical evidence from the scene of the truck accident
- Gathering all relevant photos and videos, including footage from dashcams
- Taking eyewitness testimony
- Hiring expert witnesses in relevant fields
- Having accident models created that put the accident and all involved details into careful perspective
- Helping clients make the right decisions for them throughout the claims process
- Taking cases to court in the event it becomes necessary to do so
Start Your Truck Accident Case by Contacting Us Today
At Attorney Jeff Injury Lawyers in Fontana, California, we harness the full force of our experience and legal skill in pursuit of advantageous outcomes for every case we take no. We advocate for truck accident victims and their families. Contact us online or call our firm today at 888-970-5729 for more information.
Truck Accident Case FAQs
Why doesn’t the insurance company cover my losses fairly?
Insurance companies are in business to make money, and when they keep settlements low, they bolster their profits.
How much will my truck accident lawyer charge?
You’ll pay your lawyer a prearranged percentage of your settlement only after your claim has been successfully resolved.
Is an attorney absolutely necessary?
Without professional legal guidance, your chances of fully recovering your losses will be diminished.