If you ride, you’re no doubt drawn to the open road, but you’re also vulnerable to the negligence of other motorists.
To make things that much more concerning, your bike provides none of the physical protections a car can, which means you’re far more likely to suffer serious injuries in an accident.
If the carelessness of another driver leaves you injured in a motorcycle accident, you should not wait to discuss your claim with an experienced Van Nuys motorcycle accident lawyer. Attorney Jeff Injury Lawyers in Van Nuys has a skilled attorney available to help motorcycle crash victims and their families pursue the compensation they deserve. Talk to our injury attorneys in Van Nuys today.
The Risks of Motorcycle Accidents
When you’re on your motorcycle, you take a calculated risk that involves proceeding with the utmost safety because:
- Your bike lacks the protective shell that other vehicles offer, which means even a minor tap by another – much larger vehicle – can prove deadly.
- While your helmet provides a layer of important protection in the event of a motorcycle accident, the possibility remains for a life-altering head injury when you’re on your bike.
- You don’t take up much space on the road when you’re on your bike, which makes it far easier for distracted or otherwise negligent motorists to lose track of you.
- Because you ride on only two wheels, you’re less anchored to the road, which leaves you far more likely to hit the road in an accident. You are also influenced more by the effects of inclement weather.
- You’re more agile than other drivers when you’re on your bike, which includes requiring less stopping distance. As a result, you’re more vulnerable to rear-end accidents when drivers follow you too closely.
Discuss your claim with a dedicated Van Nuys motorcycle accident lawyer today.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
The nature of the injuries you experience in a motorcycle accident can be catastrophic. Some of the injuries that are most common include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and other kinds of cervical spine injuries
- Spinal cord injuries, including permanent paralysis
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries, such as whiplash
- Internal injuries
- Serious burns
- Limb loss and injuries that ultimately require amputation
It’s also important to note that motorcyclists are susceptible to an injury that’s referred to as road rash. Road rash occurs when a motorcyclist is dragged across the asphalt or gravel and suffers cuts, abrasions, scrapes, burns, and contusions in the process. These injuries are excruciating, slow to heal, and susceptible to dangerous infections.
Who Is Liable for a Motorcycle Accident in Van Nuys?
Far too many motorists fail to take the necessary level of caution behind the wheel to accommodate motorcyclists safely. In other words, the negligence of other drivers often causes motorcycle accidents, including all the following common forms:
- Failure to follow all driving rules and regulations
- Excessive speed
When the motorcycle accident isn’t your fault, reaching out for the skilled legal guidance of an award-winning attorney in Van Nuys is always in your best interest.
What Should You Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Van Nuys?
Your motorcycle accident will be unique to the factors involved, but there are basic steps towards recovery that you should keep in mind, including:
- Don’t wait to seek medical attention.
- Schedule a consultation with a knowledgeable motorcycle accident attorney and allow them to guide you through the claims process.
- Focus on your recovery by carefully following your doctor’s instructions and advice.
- Refrain from providing the insurance company with a statement and from posting on social media while your claim is pending.
Getting Compensation for a Motorcycle Accident
If another driver causes you to be injured in a motorcycle accident, you can seek compensation for your losses, which are called legal damages, in several categories that are in addition to property damage to your bike.
The medical costs you accrue over the course of your recovery are likely to be extensive and may include:
- Emergency treatment and transportation
- Surgery and follow-up care
- Medical treatments, tests, and procedures from doctors, specialists, and other medical professionals
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Adaptive physical devices and adaptations to your home or vehicle
- Prescription medications
- Pain management
The more serious your injuries, the more losses you can expect in relation to your earnings. If your ability to do your job or to continue advancing your career is affected, your related financial losses will be that much more serious.
Pain and suffering
The physical and emotional suffering you experience as a result of a serious motorcycle accident can eclipse your other losses and can make your recovery that much more arduous.
Reach Out to a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Van Nuys Today
At Attorney Jeff Injury Lawyers, our accomplished Van Nuys car accident lawyers welcome the opportunity to help guide your claim. We handle even the most complex cases and want to honor your legal rights and your most complete recovery. We are here to help you now, so please don’t delay contacting us through our online form, or calling us at 888-970-5729.
Motorcycle Accident Case FAQs
How much does an attorney cost?
Most reputable motorcycle accident attorneys work on contingency. This means you won’t owe anything until your claim is successfully settled.
Is having a lawyer really necessary?
Without the professional legal counsel of an experienced Van Nuys motorcycle accident lawyer on your side, you’re far less likely to obtain the compensation to which you’re entitled.
Is there a time limit on filing a motorcycle accident lawsuit?
Yes. In California, you have only two years from the date of your injury-causing motorcycle accident to file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.