No one needs to be told how severe a truck accident is. Their size alone makes these machines dangerous to other motorists, and when truck drivers fail to employ the level of care they should, accidents become far more likely.
If you’ve suffered an injury by a truck driver’s negligence, seek the skilled legal guidance of an experienced Van Nuys truck accident lawyer today at Attorney Jeff Injury Lawyers. Our team has an experienced injury attorney in Van Nuys available to guide your truck accident claim forward.
Why Truck Drivers Crash
Truck accidents can have many different causes, but they are often the result of truck driver negligence.
Truck drivers are professional drivers who are required to obtain commercial licensure and to abide by more exacting rules and regulations behind the wheel. The trucking industry is thriving, and some truckers are pressured – either by their employers or by their need to make a living – to spend too many hours on the road.
This can significantly contribute to truck accidents and is addressed by federal and state hours-of-service regulations.
Truck drivers are susceptible to the same forms of risky driving behaviors that other motorists can do, including:
- Exhaustion, which relates to those hours-of-service restrictions
- Excessive speed
- Failure to drive in accordance with all driving laws
Truck accidents are often life-threatening, and a Van Nuys truck accident attorney can help process your claim when it’s you or a loved one who needs considerable time to recover.
Common Types of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can take as many dangerous forms as car accidents can – with a few that are unique to trucks thrown in for good measure.
When a truck driver plows headlong into the side of a vehicle that crosses its path – such as in an intersection – it puts the occupants of the struck vehicle at immense risk of suffering life-threatening injuries.
Rollovers are not unique to trucks, but when a truck does roll over – even if it is a one-vehicle accident – it puts everyone on the road at serious risk of being badly injured. Rollovers are generally caused either by excess speed or by a tripping event, such as overcorrecting after making a driving error.
Being hit from behind by a massive truck is often catastrophic. Truck drivers who fail to safely account for the increased stopping distances required run the risk for serious rear-end accidents.
Being sideswiped by a semi can prove deadly, and these accidents are often caused by truckers who fail to adequately address their blind spots prior to changing lanes.
Jackknife accidents are unique to tractor-trailers, and they’re caused when the tractor and trailer fold in on one another. This can happen in response to unsafe driving practices like:
- Failing to account for slippery roads adequately
- Taking sharp turns or curves too quickly
- Overcorrecting after going off the road
Establishing Liability for a Truck Accident
Liability in relation to truck accidents is determined by the evidence available – just like liability in other traffic accidents is. Often there is a considerable amount of information and documentation to be collected, which can include:
- The testimony of those who saw the accident happen
- The testimony of professionals with experience in truck accidents
- Your own account of how the accident happened
- Accident recreation models that afford a virtual view of the event
- Photos, videos, and dash cam footage captured before, during, and after the accident
- The police report
Your truck accident lawyer will ensure that all the available evidence related to your claim is collected and well accounted for.
How Does a Truck Accident Lawyer in Van Nuys Help?
Our truck accident lawyers will dedicate themselves to fiercely protecting your rights. We want to obtain the best possible resolution to your case that we can. Our approach includes:
- Gathering and compiling all the available evidence
- Guiding you through the legal process and laying out all the options you have.
- Negotiating with the insurance company for a settlement that fairly addresses your physical, financial, and emotional losses
- Preparing to file a lawsuit and address the matter in court if talks with the insurance company are unproductive
Compensation for Victims
As a victim of a truck driver’s negligence, you can seek compensation in all the following categories:
- The full range of property damage to your vehicle and its contents
- Your medical expenses, including any costs related to long-term healthcare needs
- Your lost income, including any losses related to your ability to earn in the future
- Your physical and emotional pain and suffering, which can significantly affect the course of your claim
Having a clear picture of your legal damages in each of these categories is critical to the overall success of your claim. Because you can’t recover compensation for your complete losses unless you have a full accounting of what they are, your truck accident attorney will make sure you do.
An Experienced Van Nuys Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help
At Attorney Jeff Injury Lawyers, we proudly serve truck accident victims and their families in Van Nuys and throughout California. Our award-winning truck accident lawyers are distinguished for their knowledge and compassionate service. We’ll take on the trucking company and their insurer and craft a strong case that upholds your right to compensation. We’re available to help you right now. Please contact or call us at 888-970-5729 for more information on getting your case started today.
Truck Accident Case FAQs
How do I know if the truck driver is responsible for the accident?
The best way to determine liability after a truck accident is by consulting with an accomplished truck accident attorney as soon as you can do so.
What if I wasn’t seriously injured?
The fact is that serious injuries can be masked by the shock and adrenaline rush you experience in the wake of a violent truck accident. Seeking immediate medical attention is critical.
Can I wait to file my claim?
The sooner you reach out to a skilled truck accident attorney and file your claim, the better protected your rights will be.